Transformative Principal Podcast: Who You Are is More Important
April 29, 2018
In April, Tom was on the podcast Transformative Principal with Jethro Jones.
Here are some bullet points from the interview:
- 14 years principal connection column in Educational Leadership.
- The principal job is so hard.
- There’s always more to be done, no matter how good we do it.
- Who you are is more important than what you know.
- Prepare kids for success in life, not just success in school.
- Been a principal long enough to see who kids became as adults
- There are five qualities we need to develop in students: Empathy, Self-control, integrity, embracing diversity, and grit.
- But how am I going to get my students’ kids to embrace this?
- At back to school nights and parent meetings throughout the year.
- [8:20]: Write down the initials of people you know who you consider to be successful.
- Turn to your neighbors in groups of three or four.
- Remind parents of what is truly a success.
- Strategy for focusing teachers on what we want them to pursue.
- 3×5 card, write down the initials of 2 or 3 teachers you’ve had that are most important in your life. What did they do to make you love them?
- What can you do with your class that will encourage your kids to put your name down in 30 or 40 years?